2012 is the inaugural year of the The Shed on R59 / Livingseeds Giant Pumpkin Competition. We trust that you will have plenty of fun with this competition.
The idea behind this competition was the brain child of John McChlery the General Manager of Greens’ Greens. John was looking for a way to use the R59 Shed in a way to stimulate some form of ‘agricultural’ excitement and at the same time bringing a new, community involved event into the Midvaal area. The belief is that this competition will help to bring the community together in friendly competitive spirit.
As an offshoot of this competition we hope to generate a considerable amount of high quality food that can be distributed to charitable organisations throughout the Midvaal area.
The Shed on R59 / Livingseeds Giant Pumpkin Competition has in its inaugural year attracted a number of high quality sponsors to ensure that the final outcome is a GIANT success.
We the organisers, wish you as the best growing conditions and fertile soil for your entry.
The Shed on R59 / Livingseeds Giant Pumpkin Competition.
The following are the official rules of the The Shed on R59 / Livingseeds Giant Pumpkin Competition.
1) Registration for the The Shed on R59 / Livingseeds Giant Pumpkin Competition takes place on the 1st of September.
2) Entry forms will be available for two weeks from the 1st of Sept at the R59 Shed. (While seed stocks last)
3) Final date for acceptance into the competition is the 30th of September.
4) Your completed, paid and stamped entry form is proof of entry. DO NOT LOOSE IT
5) Cost per Main entry is R 50-00.
6) Each Main entry will receive 3 Giant Pumpkin seeds.
7) Only one pumpkin may be entered per entry.
8) Additional entries can be purchased at R 30 (without seed)
9) You can source your own seed as long as point 4 has been completed.
10) All entries may only be entered into this competition. (i.e. You cannot use your pumpkin to enter more than one competition)
11) Transport of exhibits to and from the competition is at your cost.
12) All entries must be on site at the R59 Shed by 11:00 on Saturday the 30th of March.
13) 50% of the seeds of each of the top 3 pumpkins will be donated back into the competition, for the following years entrants.
14) Entrants are requested to donate a portion of their pumpkins to charity.
15) The organisers or their immediate families MAY NOT ENTER this competition.
16) Organisers MAY ONLY exhibit pumpkins for exhibition.
17) The top 3 pumpkins will be used as exhibition displays for 3 weeks after the 30th March 2013.
Pumpkin Judging Rules
2.1 Only pumpkins may be exhibited. Squash are specifically excluded. (Squash are classified as any entry that are 100% , or a combination of any of these colours totally 100% (GREEN, BLUE or GREY)
2.3 Your pumpkin must be healthy, sound and free from cracks, soft spots or hole(s) that extend into the cavity.
2.4 Any pumpkin with two or more soft spots totalling more than 200gr will be excluded from the competition and will be classed as an exhibit.
2.5 All soft spots are only to be excised and weighed by the judges.
2.6 Filling of cracks and cavities with any foreign matter is prohibited. (e.g. sand, mud, silicone, poly- filler etc)
2.7 If judges determine that point 2.5 needs to be performed then the grower/team must be present.
2.8 All pumpkins must be entered by a grower or team.
2.9 The pumpkin vine must be trimmed within 5cm on the stem on either side of the stem.
2.10 The judges decision is final on all matters relating to the weigh-off or eligibility of entries.
Giant Pumpkin Resources.
Hand Pollination is critical to your success, this is how to do it.
www.pampoen.co.za (This site has a forum that is dedicated to the local Giant Pumpkin competitor)