Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Market gardening
31-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Market gardening
I have to share as this is a big thing for me!!!! Made my first sale today! Only have beans, beetroot and spinach ready so far and sold R50's stuff today. I always give my excess away, but to go the whole hog this year and sell. Ok so R50 isn't a lot but 3 bunches of spinach went to the guy who was fixing the game fence next door and his workers live at the local brickyard a few kilo's away and said they spread the word and my neighbour bought a stack of beans and some beets. The scout leaders wife is getting her beans tomorrow when I go to town and some eggs for the Austrolorps- gave her a sample a while ago and has been begging for more- so I'm taking her all my BA hens can lay- they show NO NO signs of broodiness so they then need to pay for their feed! Other people at my sons scout pack also want so it bodes well and this lovely rain that is falling is going to make my wit boer go from side plat size to dinner plate size by tomorrow - it grows faster than the chicks! My first for profit harvest! And I'm mighty impressed with myself! Hope the season goes well for all!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2011, 07:36 AM
RE: Market gardening
Hey Liesl, well done.

Remember, you need to be paid for your effort. When you are selling eggs and they are NOT bleating about the price you are charging too little!!!

Just think about the nights running around saving chicks in the middle of rainstorms etc. people need to pay for those high quality pastured eggs.

Selfsustainable Farmer living the dream. http://www.livingseeds.co.za
01-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Wow, well done Liesl. That is great. Still figuring out a way to sell my seedlings, I've been a bit slack though, rather concentrating on the soap business.
01-11-2011, 02:08 PM
That is GREAT NEWS Liezl.
I'm almost as chuffed as you are!!!

Yeeeee haaaaa!!
02-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Well done!!! So chuffed for you. You are a great example to us all.
12-11-2011, 07:49 AM
Well all, wish me luck about to start setting up for my first farmers market!! Not expecting much but want to at least get my name out there. Hold thumbs!!!
12-11-2011, 01:43 PM
Holding thumbs here. TongueTongue

Please let us know how it went and what you did/did not like.

Selfsustainable Farmer living the dream. http://www.livingseeds.co.za
12-11-2011, 03:13 PM
(12-11-2011 07:49 AM)Liesl Wrote:  Well all, wish me luck about to start setting up for my first farmers market!! Not expecting much but want to at least get my name out there. Hold thumbs!!!

Well....how did it go? Been having a look the whole day to see if you report back to us!!! What you take, what you make, what they want.....come one all of it!Big Grin
12-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Hey all, sorry to only report back now but even when you've been baking in 34deg heat you still have to come back and water the veg still left and feed and water chickens etc etc etc- never stops!!!
Anyway the market went very well, people are starved for really freshly picked veg. I grow organically, but am not certified so I say grown in an organic way- amazing how a few words can change the meaning of stuff and keep you on the right side of the law.
Anyhow, I have been collecting email addresses for a few weeks now and send out a newsletter type of thing to say what's in season and available etc. A lot of the people I sent to came to the market- they had never been before and collected email addresses from everyone who bought!!
I took veg and herbs that were ready, but the people loved the beetroot- great it just happened to be the one thing I don't have a lot of and my neighbour has already asked for 30 beets! I REALLY didn't think beetroot would be so popular. I know the African community eats a lot of it but its mad! Luckily 2 weeks ago I put in 400 seedlings- I transplant and have success even though every book says it doesn't transplant- bull! Just choose an overcast day and bob's your uncle!!
Took some homemade cordials- lemon and Raspberry- but the uneducated up here don't understand that there is a difference between strawberry and raspberry- go figure!
Also took homemade pasta and tortilla wraps- both popular.
Made some good contacts with women from the muslim/Indian community which is big here. Want me to grow things like brinjal, okra, coriander and garlic greens( they just want the leaf bits- would be faster-3months compared to 9 for garlic! They reckon they'll buy per 100 bunch and will pay handsomely for it as they can't get it anywhere. Also said I must load up the bakkie once a week and come to the indian suburb- they like to buy in bulk not bit for bit. So guess where I'm headed next week!
An amazing thing happened at the market- at about 11am I was chatting to a fellow stall holder all of a sudden my mom who was helping comes up to me and says that we can pack up! I'm like "what?" So she says that one of the people who were having lunch at the restuarant (the maeket is by one of those outdoor kiddies farmyard type places) came to her and asked what everything on the table would cost? She said she had no idea- we had already sold a lot of stuff. He gave her R400 and said to take what that would cover to an old age. Well that pretty much cleared us out. And saved me 2 hours of market time! And I reckon it looks good if you sell out. Anyway the women at the charity house for elderly women we're most impressed, especially with the two huge bags of garlic they got- the one old lady was so happy she said she was going to "bewerk" it immediately. Heart went out to them so I promised to bring some stuff just before Christmas- reckon I'll have lots of stuff and no one to sell to as many will be away on holiday. Always give homemade bisbuits and lekker stuff to this particular home at Christmas time. This year though no money for store bought anything but nice fresh veggies and fruit may make their Christmas a little Cheerier!
So.... All in all I had a good day and its great to know that there are a few good samaratin's left in the world!
13-11-2011, 10:58 AM
So.... All in all I had a good day and its great to know that there are a few good samaratin's left in the world!
[/quote]

What can i say....Well done seems empty? BUT here goes WELL DONE!!! You are such an example to other us to what happens if one put one mind to it. Exclamation Raining here...and only about 15deg!